[kj] OT: Rikk Agnew

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 7 14:52:40 EST 2008

It's easily my favorite era of music (prior to and alongside my getting into the Joke in 84). I sorta fell out of it towards the end of the decade, but good lord -- there were sooooo many amazing bands who brought amazing stuff to the table. Even being an unrepentant (and annoying) New Yorker, I have to say that I tended to like the Cali bands more. I adore my local heroes like the Cro-Mags, Murphy's Law, The Mob, Heart Attack, Agnostic Front and Kraut (soooo underrated, as far as I'm concerned), but at the end of the day, they couldn't compete with Cali bands like Dead Kennedys, the Circle Jerks, Black Flag, (early) Vandals, TSOL, D.I. (the 'Suburbia' three, as my friend Brad tagged'em), Descendents, Suicidal Tendencies, FEAR... the list is really endless. I never cared so much about 'local scenes' so much as individual bands (with the possible exception of the D.C. scene, which had such cohesion and countless amazing bands).

Oliver, you might know this: Was the Code of Honor/Sick Pleasure e.p. ever released on compact disc? I'd *KILL* to hear that stuff today.

Alex in NYC