[kj] OT - Last Shadow Puppets

Bill Meissner BMeissner at encorehollywood.com
Wed Nov 5 23:35:52 EST 2008

Had a great day on Monday....I was listening to Steve Jones radio show (Jonesy's Jukebox) while having my morning/afternoon coffee at a locale café here in Hollywood. Jonesy had Miles Kane and Alex Turner on the show because they were in town to play the last show as The Last Shadow Puppets at the Mayan Theater in downtown L.A. At the end of the show I ended up winning tickets to the show! I promptly called work and told them that I was taking half the day off to go to the show. What an incredible show!!!! I walked out of the show really feeling like I saw something unique and special. They had a full orchestra backing them up and everything. The sound was amazing - Alex and Miles are truly talented musicians. Here in America we don't get this type of thing - if American musicians their age tried to do this sort of thing - it probably would come off as cheesy and nostalgic. This was very British - which is wonderful - and just totally impressed me - no rock star ego bullshit. I can't believe those guys are like 21-22 years old - Alex Turner was born to play music - I hope he's around for a long time. Anyone else out there get to see them? I'm curious what you people in England think of this project....

Anyway - Just wanted to share my experience with you all - I was completely blown away and again felt like I saw something special - especially it being their last show. Miles goes back to The Rascals and Alex of course goes back to Arctic Monkeys who have been recording with Josh Homme from Queens of the Stoneage (can't wait to hear what comes from that collaboration....)

Billy Goat in Hollywood