[kj] More on Killing Joke from Rob Amebix @ my site

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 31 13:40:55 EDT 2008

[This is from an interview someone else did, but submitted to my site,
Cultpunk. - Oliver]

http://www.cultpunk.com/?p=348

*Q*: On the subject of influences, of course Killing Joke is mentioned a
lot and you mentioned them in/ The Day The Country Died/ DVD. Killing
Joke was kind of close to what Amebix tried to do. Well, Killing Joke
has recently centered more on tribalistic, simple but heavy music and
mythological lyrics, etc., most recently on their /Hosannas from the
Basement of Hell/ album (2006). The title of the first track I think
hints at what I am trying to say: “This Tribal Antidote.” The point here
is that very curiously some reviewers on the internet has likened this
album to Amebix. Have you heard it? Did you ever meet Jaz and Killing
Joke? Incidentally, I interviewed Jaz last year and all the time I had
in the back of my mind the idea of asking him if he knew of Amebix.
Regrettably, I never did.

*ROB "THE BARON" MILLER*: I have heard some of the newer KJ stuff, and
it is incredible — very, very powerful and intense, something they lost
for awhile, I think. I have been trying to get in touch with Jaz, as he
apparently was interested in having a commissioned piece made, but it is
hard to get any contact address. KJ were a massive influence on Amebix
when their first album came out it was the most potent musical assault
that I had ever heard.