[kj] Camp Freddy Does "Eighties"

T.B. Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Sun May 4 11:15:11 EDT 2008

>From NME:

Sex Pistols men join Camp Freddy for all-star LA romp

All-star cover band Camp Freddy were joined on-stage by members of the Sex
Pistols, Motorhead, Jane's Addiction and Alice In Chains for their show at
the Roxy in Los Angeles last night (May 1) that kicked off their month-long
residency at the legendary Sunset Strip club.

The band, which features Billy Morrison (The Cult), Dave Navarro (Jane's
Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers), Matt Sorum (Guns N Roses, Velvet
Revolver), Donovan Leitch (son of singer Donovan), and Chris Chaney (Jane's
Addiction), performed cover songs by their guest performers as well as Blur,
Led Zeppelin and Oasis.

"We're going to bring on half of the Sex Pistols for their song 'EMI' -- now
I can die and go to heaven," Morrison said when the legendary punk band's
guitarist Steve Jones and drummer Paul Cook took the stage.

"What can we do to top that?" Morrison asked at the end of the Sex Pistols
number before introducing Motorhead frontman Lemmy Kilmister who sang his
band's hit 'Ace Of Spades'.

The evening's guest parade also included Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme, Mark
McGrath of Sugar Ray, Steven Perkins of Jane's Addiction and Warren
DeMartini of Ratt.

For their grand finale, the band brought on nearly all their guests as well
as scantily clad dancing women for a cover of The Stooges' 'I Wanna Be Your
Dog'.

They played:

Cheap Trick- 'Hello Ladies and Gentleman'
Blur-'Song 2'
Killing Joke-'Eighties' w/Mark McGrath (Sugar Ray)
Oasis-'Rock 'n' Roll Star' w/Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme)
Led Zeppelin-'Good Times Bad Times' with Poe, Bettencourt
Adam Ant-'Ant Music' w/Steven Perkins (Jane's Addiction)
David Bowie-'Suffragette City' w/Warren DeMartini (Ratt)
Ratt-'Round and Round' w/DeMartini, McGrath
Thin Lizzy-'Jailbreak' w/Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), McGrath
Sex Pistols-'EMI' w/Steve Jones, Paul Cook (Sex Pistols), McGrath
Motörhead-'Ace of Spades' w/Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead)
Eddie Cochran-'Something Else' w/Kilmister, Jones, Corey Parks (Nashville
Pussy, Die Hunns)
The Stooges-'I Wanna Be Your Dog' w/Kilmister, Parks, Jones, Bettencourt,
McGrath

Camp Freddy will continue their residency at the Roxy with different guest
performers each Thursday for the rest of May.

+++++++

>From Billy Morrison's Blog:

So now its our turn, and after a hugely stressful afternoon of
guestlist/setup/soundcheck/logistics, I felt ready for a nap! But the moment
we got up there, I woke up!! We have changed a bunch of songs up now, and
have an arsenal of new tunes - we opened with Cheap Trick's Hello There and
then straight into Blur's Song Two. Mark McGrath (who is doing every show as
our featured guest) came on and blew it all wide open with a killer version
of Killing Jokes Eighties. And from there it just got surreal.....Poe
singing Led Zep's Good Times Bad Times, Nuno Bettencourt just NAILING Oasis'
Rock And Roll Star, Warren De Martini shredding Round And Round, Jerry
Cantrell (not scheduled to play, but being part of the Freddy Family, always
welcome!) wandering out and killing it on Jailbreak, and of course, my
personal highlight (not only of the show but maybe my entire career!) -
doing the Sex Pistols EMI with Steve Jones AND Paul Cook!! Lemmy came on to
finish the night out and we did Ace Of Spades (which is one of the most
violent songs I have ever played!) and Eddie Cochrans Something Else, with
Paul Cook and Matt sorum on drums, THREE Bass players (Lemmy, Chris Chaney
and Corey Parks from Nashville Pussy!) and me, Navarro and Jonesy on
guitars. I Wanna Be Your Dog finished the night in true Camp Freddy
fashion....with the Darling Stilettos joining us all onstage and every
musician grabbing an instrument and jamming. We got four more of these crazy
shows to do, and I strongly advise any fan of rock music not to miss any of
them. Each week is different songs and different guests. Next weeks show is
gonna BLOW YOUR MIND!!!

T.B.