[kj] York Street Recording Studios

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Wed Mar 19 23:31:57 EDT 2008

Also I wonder if Shihad's use of York St pre- or post-dates the acrimony
with Jaz...they are listed as a client on the website. Interestingly
they're listed as 'Pacifier' which is the shit name they changed to in
anticipation of the US audience not being able to digest the word Shihad
post 9/11...so they may well have used it since all that shit went down.

Changing their name to pacify (pun intended) the american audience really
pissed a lot of old fans off, myself included. Shihad was a mistaken
interpretation of the word Jihad in the first place. At least they had the
grace to change the name back and say they regretted doing it in
hindsight. But for a lot of fans like Bongo and I it was game over from
that point.

They used to be a fucking good band back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JNN10FNWg

That song was reportedly written with Jaz in mind. As was another off same
album (Killjoy, 1994, which they recorded after their split with Jaz after
he produced their prior album Churn). And I've heard that they did a track
later on called Killing Jaz, but I lost interest in them around '99.