[kj] OT- I couldn't help but to think of the West

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Fri Mar 14 21:11:08 EDT 2008

You know the sad thing…I told everyone I know about this all happening about
18 months ago because I had a head’s up simply from reading stuff on the
‘net…and my cousin, who is an accountant, is still looking at buying a house
NOW, during a falling market. You can log in to any newspaper in the country
and read articles almost every day about predictions that the market will
fall from 5-15% just this year alone…predictions from all the economists at
the big banks, including the Reserve Bank (!). But her logic is “Well it
won’t matter at all because if the value of my property falls then it’s all
relative to everyone else’s”

I tried to use logic…hold on. Two scenarios here…let’s say the market falls
10% in a year. If you put down 10%, say $50K on a $500K house…at the end of
the year you end up with a mortgage of $450K on a house worth $450K (you
just lost all your equity). Or if you want until the end of the year /
bottom of the market (simplified example here), you buy the same house for
$450K, and up with a $400K loan on a property worth $450K…can’t you just
compare the two end results and decide which one is better?

“No…that’s not how it works, I’m sure my way is right”

Be very careful when choosing an accountant!

_____