[kj] (OT) New Surprise Nine Inch Nails Album(s)

Peter Adams praest76 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 06:55:01 EST 2008

On 04/03/2008, T.B. <Partyslammer at socal.rr.com> wrote:

> Although the last two albums (With Teeth and Year Zero) kinda left me cold,

> it's very cool how Trent Reznor is handling this release:

They had their moments, but yes. They didn't have the same impact on
me as his earlier releases. I have considered that this might be more
to do with me being older and wiser rather than a naive teenager
listening to Broken and The Downward Spiral and thinking Reznor
invented industrial music.

Ghosts I-IV is very much middle aged rocker music. Reznor is
definitely turning into a Brian Eno-type character. Not necessarily a
bad thing. Middle-aged rockers are often an embarrassment and I was
put off The Fragile because it sounded like a middle-aged rocker
trying to do teen angst, though by that time the teenagers were into
shite like Velvet Acid Christ and huffing solder.

I think a lot of fans will be put off by the instrumental nature of
the album. I don't mind it though some of the tracks kinda cry out for
vocals.

So far the majority of NIN fans I know have seemed indifferent or
disappointed with this release. Akin to the, rather excellent IMO,
Saul Williams album from last year.

--
PRAEst76
http://www.escapism.co.uk/praest76