[kj] Wikipedia entry on Jaz Coleman

GREG SLAWSON gregslawson at msn.com
Fri Jun 27 17:09:59 EDT 2008

Good points Oliver (I read reports of IQ testing of students, as a special ed teacher, but we use them to see if there are big differences in areas such as verbal vs. visual-spatial skills, not to get an overall score). The IQ test itself has to be given by a trained school psychologist.
The communist party I'm with played a role in attacking the IQ movement in the early 70s, with our old group InCAR (Intl. Committe Against Racism). We put an add in the NYT at one point, signed by many scientists, attacking IQ tests and the racist claims of people like Herrnstein and Arthur Jensen and Shockley (who wanted to sterilize people w/IQs under 100). We protested and debated those guys too (even doucing Herrnstein with water at one point). Another good book from the 80s I think about that stuff is "Not in Our Genes", by Lewontin, Rose, and Kamin, 3 anti-racist and marxist scientists.> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:41:16 -0500> From: bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net> To: gathering at misera.net> Subject: Re: [kj] Wikipedia entry on Jaz Coleman> > Well, IQ tests are flawed for a number of reasons. The definitive book > on the subject is Stephen Jay Gould's _The Mismeasure of Man_, which > details the test's sordid history as well as well how, sordid history or > not, it's impossible to accurately scientifically measure, much less > represent in a unilinear numerical format, the thing people call > "intelligence."> > About changing the Wikipedia entry, it shouldn't be changed if Jaz does > indeed claim he has an IQ of 190. He can claim stuff that isn't true. > But I would liek to see a citation maybe of an interview where he does, > in fact, claim that.> > I think the only way someone could get an IQ of 190 is if they took a > dumb online quiz or got a hokey book from a bookstore that let you take > tests and measure your own, um, "IQ." Real IQ tests take hours, are > given in clinical conditions, administered by folks with either PhDs > (psychologists) or MDs, and generally only when someone is a minor and > is having school truancy/attendance/performance problems, or when one is > having mental problems,e tc.> > You don't just walk into a doctor's office and announce, "Hey! I'd like > an IQ test! Someone give me one!" It doesn't work like that.> > -Oliver> > > folk devil wrote:> > A flaw in IQ testing is that it is based in knowledge systems. Social > > and cultural conditions can in essence affect the experience needed to > > gain certain knowledge.> > > > "The /Bell Curve/ is a simple treatise of conservative ideology, like > > Miller's review, and in its biased treatment of data its purpose is > > revealed as simple advocacy of a particular position. Nothing new > > about that. The problem is that Herrnstein and Murray and those who > > blindly accept their data in the absence of scientific skepticism, > > misuse or misunderstand science to further their agenda. There may be > > inherited group differences in intelligence. > > However, Herrnstein and Murray have failed to provide adequate > > refutation of the alternative hypotheses."> > > > http://goinside.com/98/3/postmod.html> >> >> > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering