[kj] Blog, documentary...stuff

Bette Dillinger bettedillinger at live.com
Fri Jun 13 20:18:18 EDT 2008

Re: B&W films:
My favorite:
"Raging Bull" was awe inspiring and it was sheer genius to shoot the film in B & W for so many reasons. Those fight scenes, the luminous platinum hair of his young wife, and her subsequent bruises all stood out much more distinctly and were more frightening as a result. His descent into being a sad hack nightclub entrepreneur ;) also was made more poignant because of B & W. Scorcese managed to make Jake LaMotta into a classic character because of his direction. Outstanding.

Loved "Young Frankenstein", and it was a very nice nod to Browning to film it in the classic B & W. "Dead Man" was excellent, in spite of Jim Jarmush (sp) having a tendency to be pretentious, Johnny Depp being his usual very pretty self but stumbling through the role (he only seems to be able to play "himself"). Loved the cameo with Iggy Pop and the Native American guide. A great film.

-Bette