[kj] OT: Pat Condell

folk devil folkdevil_23 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:41:20 EDT 2008

I remember the UK being set up differently, on the premise that plans such as affirmative action can cause inverse discrimination, to which I agree. All I see it do is perpetuate marginalization, making some people be perceived as inferior to others. To me it's message can still say whites are in charge, but we will allow you this within our hierarchy. If everyone is equal, and are citizens of a nation, there should not be a need for 'special treatment'. It pussyfoots around the issues, never really having to deal with them.

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:02:21 +0100From: ade at the-lab.zetnet.co.ukTo: gathering at misera.netSubject: Re: [kj] OT: Pat Condell

Oh of course we have that bullshit over here - we've had it for years folky !!!!!!!!! Surely you remember?
It has had its' uses, but is causing more resentment now. Instead of rolling-off & having less of a say
over how things are done over the years (after a fair amount of normalisation has been reached), the
whole racial equalities lot continue to grab as much power as possible. Trevor fucking Phillips, head
of this quango now wants to take on inequality of all kinds. Both vertical, as well as horizontal, he said,
lol!

What a lovely thought, but is it in any way workable? Is it fuck. Sounds more like a quango that
continues to grow.

Back to 'affirmative action', it's great for building self-respect in token non-white people. Token, as in
"the govt is forcing us to take on a certain percentage of each race other than whitey, so let's just
employ people simply because of the environmental/geographical differences that make someones'
skin a different colour.."

"before I couldn't get a job, now I have a job, but I think it's only because I'm black."

There are very few people in the media who would even talk about playing the race card, let alone
anything be done about it. I watched Nirpal Dhaliwal front a channel4 programme called, oddly enough,
'Playing the race card', at the end of which, he was astounded at just how much of it goes on. Funny,
I never saw that programme get repeated ;) Still, there's some stuff about it here:

http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/R/racedebate/talkingpoint/programmes/racecard1.html

...down on the right-hand side.

-----Original Message-----From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net]On Behalf Of folk devilSent: 22 July 2008 23:26To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)Subject: Re: [kj] OT: Pat Condellfrom wiki: The term affirmative action describes policies aimed at a historically socio-politically non-dominant group (typically, minority men or women of all racial groups) intended to promote its access to education or employment. Motivation for affirmative action is a desire to redress effects of actual or perceived, past or current discrimination that is regarded as unfair.[who?] It also serves to encourage public institutions such as universities, hospitals and police forces to be more representative of the population[1]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action I don't believe you can 'enforce' equality.And after living in the States for a decade, I have seen that 'race card' played too much..