[kj] Private server

melinda grant hollytree1961 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 11:12:43 EST 2008

brendan,thanks for the education,i did not realise there was so much involved,as i put yesterday,i am happy to host some stuff on my 2 links but there over at myspace,so well,it may prove costly as you mentioned,however,i can host a bit and let someone else host the other bits,as we are all gatherers,there should be no problem,one big happy disfunctional family and all that,if i can help let me know will you someone eitherwayok ;D)))

i will also be happy to" chip in cash" along with brendan as also suggested,a bit with everyone else ,if only one private server is going to host everything,however,b.4 i part with cast,i will need to know who the private server is,thats only fare really ;)) so inform me and i may help you out ;D)

milinda> From: bq at soundgardener.co.nz> To: gathering at misera.net> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:34:27 +1300> Subject: Re: [kj] Private server> > Seems like lots of us are pretty keen on the idea of a private server, I> think it's a great idea. The main cost of this type of thing is the> bandwidth. The server could be uploading quite a lot of data. For example, a> high quality mp3 recording of an album (bootleg or whatever) can easily be> 100-200 MB. 50-100 people downloading that is 5-20 GB...and someone> mentioned up to 30 bootlegs...that's a pretty large amount of data and> bandwidth, and there's more than just bootlegs to go up. I'm sure there> will be some special tracks that ppl would want in original uncompressed> format (like .wav), which are much bigger than mp3 size.> > I have a friend who created his own version of Linux (Yoper) and distributed> it via a server he rented in the US, it turned into the most downloaded> version of Linux worldwide at one point and ended up costing him tens of> thousands of dollars (US) because thousands of people were downloading a> whole CD image.> > So logins would need to be kept to a minimum really...people telling people> telling people soon ends up with an original 50 people turning into 500. If> you wanted to get the material to a local mate, could probably be cheaper> and quicker to burn it to CD / DVD and send via the mail.> > I'm happy to contribute towards the cost of a private server, I think if> everyone chipped in a bit it would be quite plausible. > > If anyone is interested I can investigate pricing, probably hosted out of> the States as it's cheaper than NZ. Anyone with any info on cheap reliable> hosting please pipe up, so to speak... > > BQ> > -----Original Message-----> From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On> Behalf Of frenchyfrenzy at free.fr> Sent: Monday, 28 January 2008 3:37 a.m.> To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)> Subject: Re: [kj] Private server> > Hi all,> > I know a place somewhere in one office of France where all the servers are> named> with Killing Joke's tunes...> That might be a solution but first we will have to convince the> administrator.> I know that some of you know him....> > Stephane " FrenchyFrenzy"> > > > Selon PRAEst76 <praest76 at gmail.com>:> > > Brian Whitehead wrote:> > > For those who asked for the Manchester Pistols gig...> > >> > > http://download.yousendit.com/98F284D303CBEB66> > >> > > Hope I've done it right???> >> > Bah, "download limit exceeded".> >> >> > What we need on this group is a private server we can upload boots and> > stuff to.> >> > Anyone got server access in a dodgy corner of europe where people don't> > care what you host? Not that I'm advocating out and out piracy, just a> > place for folks to host stuff like this without it being pulled because> > ignorant providers got paranoid.> >> > --> > PRAEst76> > http://www.escapism.co.uk/praest76> > _______________________________________________> > Gathering mailing list> > Gathering at misera.net> > http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering> >> > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering> > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering