[kj] Private server

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sun Jan 27 18:34:27 EST 2008

Seems like lots of us are pretty keen on the idea of a private server, I
think it's a great idea. The main cost of this type of thing is the
bandwidth. The server could be uploading quite a lot of data. For example, a
high quality mp3 recording of an album (bootleg or whatever) can easily be
100-200 MB. 50-100 people downloading that is 5-20 GB...and someone
mentioned up to 30 bootlegs...that's a pretty large amount of data and
bandwidth, and there's more than just bootlegs to go up. I'm sure there
will be some special tracks that ppl would want in original uncompressed
format (like .wav), which are much bigger than mp3 size.

I have a friend who created his own version of Linux (Yoper) and distributed
it via a server he rented in the US, it turned into the most downloaded
version of Linux worldwide at one point and ended up costing him tens of
thousands of dollars (US) because thousands of people were downloading a
whole CD image.

So logins would need to be kept to a minimum really...people telling people
telling people soon ends up with an original 50 people turning into 500. If
you wanted to get the material to a local mate, could probably be cheaper
and quicker to burn it to CD / DVD and send via the mail.

I'm happy to contribute towards the cost of a private server, I think if
everyone chipped in a bit it would be quite plausible.

If anyone is interested I can investigate pricing, probably hosted out of
the States as it's cheaper than NZ. Anyone with any info on cheap reliable
hosting please pipe up, so to speak...

BQ