[kj] ot new york hadfirst punks,sorry mik ;)

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 24 16:26:06 EST 2008

Iggy, Dead Boys, MC5 all originally from Midwest. MC5 = "Motor City 5."
"Motor City" = Detroit, not NYC.

But, yes, this is an endleslly contentious debate, and a lot of it
depends on when you want to arbitrarily say punk began. I know a lot of
historians/writers/critics say 1975, which I think is about right,
everything else ebing even (which it isn't). There are people who will
say Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash were "punk" in 1950s, and the Punk 365
opens with Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators (Austin, TX) and
other '66 garage bands, etc., but this is all because the term "punk"
has become so elastic as to be applied to almost anything.

-Oliver