[kj] When Goths Cry...

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Feb 21 15:32:12 EST 2008

Yeah of course we have the same thing but it's just not something we
emphasize I suppose, it came as a surprise to me when someone described my
class, it was something I'd never really considered.

NZ and Aussie have this syndrome that we call 'tall poppy syndrome', which
I'm sure exists elsewhere, but seems particularly pronounced down this end
of the planet. It's a critical attack on anyone who sticks their head up
above the masses, people get absolutely sledged at times. Back in the day
one of our best cricketers, Martin Crowe, used to get shit because he
preferred wine to beer sometimes...that kind of thing.

In the 'States it seems perfectly acceptible to say "I'm really good at x"
if that's the case, which seems quite healthy to me. But in NZ you are
encouraged to keep your trap shut and talk down all of your achievements
so as to fit in with the rest of the lads. It's changing, it's not
all-encompassing, but it's still there and it's a stupid way to treat
achievement and aspiration and difference.

And yeah, we have inequalities in wealth similar to other western
nations...the whole deal. Ghettoes, drugs, blah blah.