[kj] When Goths Cry...

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 20 08:07:16 EST 2008

One thing this list has really reminded me of, as an American, is how
much the term "middle class" differs between England and the USA. I
regularly hear things smeared by brits as "middle class. For example,
the "liberal" Guardian sneeringly called that vile, racist, piece of
shit comedian Bernard manning' critics "middle class." That must have
some sting in up there in that small island in the North Atlantic. I
guess it's roughly equivalent to "yuppie" in the US? But in the US most
Pres. candidates, etc. regularly & unashamedly use the term "middle
class" almost in the sense Brits use the term "working class. In the US,
there is no snarkiness to the term "middle class." It doesn't mean posh,
or privileged, or conventional in some disconnected, out of touch way.
That'd maybe be what one said about yuppies or New Economy bohos or
something.

-Oliver