[kj] When Goths Cry... middle class, working class ... it's all a load of ...

Brian Whitehead bawhitehead at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 04:47:36 EST 2008

"every week there appears to be another story of a family man who interrupts
a gang of mindless idiots causing some minor trouble on the street, then
struck down in front of their own children and left to die"

Exactly what happened to me 18 months ago.
Me and my mate coming home after watching the footy and 3 or 4 pints in the
pub (I was not drunk). It was about 9:30 and we decided to take a Pizza home
and have a drink there listening to some music. Went into the local pizza
place, ordered a Pizza and then sat down chatting waiting for our food. Next
thing a couple of young basball cap wearing lads of around 12 year old came
in and started giving the guy serving a load of hassle. They then started
kicking in the door to get in the back which they succedded in doing, but
they were unsuccessfull when they tried to grab the till and were chased
out. Next they came back in throwing loads of racial abuse at the guys
working in there. At this point I'd had enough and foolishly said to the
lads "cut it out lads will you". Got outside after our food was ready and
there was about 15 of them waiting for us. They started to follow us home so
we decided to run, which we did in opposite directions. They came after
me, caught me, and gave me the biggest kicking of my life. I thought I was
going to die even the girld were having a go.
I was found face down in the gutter semi consious with half my face hanging
off and I'd also completely pissed myself.
They had knicked my pizza but left me with my wallet and mobile phone.
Was carried home and taken to hospital. I was physically OK but the mental
scars lasted a lot longer. I was nervous going out after dark for nearly a
year and stopped going to gigs. My 3 year old daughter was scared of me
because of the way I looked and wouldn't sit next to me.
I saw one of them a few months after the incident at a set traffic lights,
he was crossing the road in front of me and he looked right at me as he
crossed. It really freaked me out and I felt like running him over.

95% over it now but it comes back to me every time I hear on the news
of another innocent guy getting what I did. I consider myself very lucky to
be alive.

Brian.