[kj] When Goths Cry... Gisele smiles,

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Feb 21 02:18:24 EST 2008

All that crap about the problems in subprime not spreading around the world because the world economy has ‘de-coupled from the US’…did anyone really believe that?! I had (some) people who have worked in financial markets for 10-20 years try to tell me that…I eventually sussed out why. They were bullshitting themselves because they wanted it to be true. NZ has possibly THE most over-priced, or at least risky (due to levels of consumer debt etc) real-estate market in the world, and it’s hard finding impartial advice on the real estate market because most commentators own property. And why believe the evidence before your own eyes when it’s so much easier letting someone tell you it won’t happen?

Bullshit. The world economy hasn’t de-coupled from the ‘States to the extent that a shitstorm in the ‘States isn’t gonna have a big ripple…most countries’ foreign reserves are still in favour of USD, and the US consumes, what, 25% of EVERYTHING?!

It’s starting to really amaze me the more I notice how people bullshit themselves…the more I notice it in other people the more I start to get a sneaky suspicion that I’m riddled with it too.

But then I remember the Manifesto…and all is okay :-)

The subprime thing…I wonder how many hippie conspiracy theorists like me are waiting to see if it’s the end of the capitalism as we know it? I’m already stocking up on the Astroglide and bird-flu vaccine…

_____