[kj] When Goths Cry...

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 20 08:10:28 EST 2008

Funny, I just wrote about this.

I'm an American, and the sense I've gotten is that in the UK the term
"middle class" is sneeringly used the way Americans use the word "yuppie."

But, yeah, in the US "midle class" is actually kind of a badge of pride.
Even though the US's middle class is shrinking, which is a and thing,
and income inequality is rising dramatically, which is why Pres.
candidates regularly promise to help out the middle class or enable
people to enter it. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a poncy, organic
food latte mocha drinking snowboarding out of touch dude the way it
might seem to in England.

-Oliver