[kj] FW: FW: FW: this is none of your business lennonka;D))

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Feb 2 17:21:15 EST 2008

Well that explains where the free time came from. waiting for the damn
things to compile. :)

Haha, correct. He was tending to do 16-20 hour days most of the time he was
working on that project however, he stayed up for too many days in a row
once and sent off a pretty questionable reply (i.e. a frothing rant) to mild
criticism on the yoper forum once, that ended up doing the rounds in Linux
circles :-)

How dare a hippy work at a supercomputing center! Does he not know how much
carbon emissions is caused by such places?
I sense his inner hippy is not quite as robust as we thought it to be.

That's an interesting point, running computers costs carbon, here's some
things to consider however:

Computing and comms equipment enables email, IM, BBS, websites, video
conferencing, online collaboration etc that reduces the need for millions of
miles of travel ever year

The NZ supercomputing centre uses mainly AMD Opteron processors, which
require less power to run than most equivalent Intel processors

IT is probably trending long-term towards massive data centres hosted
locally that will to some extent replace IT departments, meaning no need to
have a power hungry PC with a 350+ watt power supply on every desktop

Datacentres are starting to be designed in a much more electrically and
thermally efficient manner, for example the heat they put out can be used to
heat the building they are in, reducing the overall need for power in the
bldg etc.

The two main PC microchip manufacturers, Intel and AMD, are constantly
making their chips more power efficient, a common trend is to cite
'performance per watt' for any given chip, which of course is constantly
increasing. Most chips / chipsets these days have power-saving modes where
they will cycle down in speed when it's not required, as well as shutting
down whole areas of the chip, and PCs have power-saving features such as
standby mode, hibernation, sleep, shutting down the hard disks, monitor etc
etc

Finally, computing enables research and development in so many fields
related to the environment...weather modelling, population modelling /
stats, materials and energy technology etc etc.LCD screens for example use
about half or less power than the old CRT screens for the same size.

_____