[kj] FW: Killing Joke's career/[OT] Other Bands...

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 13:08:30 EST 2008

Their first guitarist was Jim Martin who played on the first four albums, from We Care A Lot to Angel Dust.

He's an okay guitarist, but it seems that he was very much into a 'metal' way of playing, very influenced by Sabbath and Zeppelin. Not necessarily a bad thing, but on Angel Dust it sounds like the rest of the band of challenging themselves and heading off into new directions, while Jim Martin was still playing the same kind of stuff he did on The Real Thing. He blames Patton for the band's new direction, saying that TRT was the band's pinnacle (Patton didn't contribute musically to that album). Kind of ironic, given that Martin put Patton's name forward after hearing an old Mr Bungle song; apparently he though Patton was pretty much a metaller, since the song was back from Bungle's death metal days...

Although their subsequent guitarists were better than Martin, they never quite stabilized the guitar position after that- three guitarist in two albums, recording King For A Day with one guitarist (Bungle's Trey Spruance) and touring it with another (Dean Menta, now with Sparks).

Jim.