[kj] (OT) The God Machine/The Cure

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 19:32:44 EST 2008

I had a diehard Cure fan friend who also loved the God Machine, but didn't really see the supposed connection. There is a physical connection too- GM drummer Ron Austin played on the Cure's Wild Mood Swings.

They were obviously influenced by the dark British music of the 80s, in general though- they did respectable (if unnecessary) covers of Bauhaus' 'Double Dare' and Echo & The Bunnymen's 'All My Colours'.

Shame they decided to call it after the guitarist's death- they were an interesting band.

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing).

"Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly.

Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.