[kj] Killing Joke's career

Darren Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Sat Dec 20 19:14:43 EST 2008

I made the Cure connection the first time I heard the God Machine.

Mark - your story is particularly interesting, as I wanted to turn someone
on to the noisier side of my musical taste, and in at the deep end hadn't
worked. She was inexplicably fond of Jolly Cure, particularly that God-awful
Love Cats, so I gave her Depressive Cure (Seventeen Seconds, Faith &
Pornography). From there, we went God Machine (it took her a few listens,
but she persisted. From there, I think we went straight to the first KJ
album, which she loved, and then into all sorts of noisy stuff. King
Crimson's "Red" went down particularly well, which I hadn't expected at all.

It was supposed to be a reciprocal sort of an arrangement, but I couldn't
forgive the Curiosity Killed The Cat tape she expected me to listen to. I
did. Once.

And in passing, I often go to gigs on my own. Because I have very few
friends who share the range of my enthusiasms, I have certain people that
I'll go to a certain type of gigs with, but there are many bands I like
where I don't know anyone who also likes them enough to warrant going to see
them live. Actually, in some ways, I prefer going to gigs on my own, as I'm
more inclined to strike up conversations with new people if I'm not
preoccupied with making sure that my companions are having a good time.

Darren
Hungerford, UK