[kj] OT: Blue Christmas

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 20 06:26:39 EST 2008

I hate Glenn Danzig's absurdist macho posturing, but Danzig up 'til 1994
was -- I have to admit -- pretty great.

I agree also with the common consensus that Danzig II: Lucifuge is
Danzig's best "mature" work.

He wrote songs for Johnny Cash ("Thirteen," "Come to Silver") and Roy
Orbison ("Life Fades Away") -- and a lot of people don't realize that.
His pre-eminence as a vocalist and songwriter has usually been obscured
by his dumb-ass hairy-chested tough guy shtick.

Also, most people don't know that he wrote (and sang), in the 1980s, the
title song to the zeitgeist-y, 80s coming-of-age film "Less Than Zero":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6EieqgGA-8

It's a strangely good soundtrack for such a shit 80s film: It has
Slayer, Roy Orbison, Danzig (see above), The Bangles' cover of "Hazy
Shade of Winter'," and others, on it. But, yeah, there is Danzig, doing
the title song to a very big-shouldered, poofy-haired, zeitgeist-y 80s
flick, almost forgotten today. Not even many Danzig fans know he sang
the title track, above, complete w/ backup chorus of black women singing
behind him and all that. Big-time stuff for someone who just left the
original Misfits!

Holiday cheers,

-Oliver