[kj] Band-o-rama

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Sat Aug 30 01:18:14 EDT 2008

I love SOAD, Queen, Bowie, like some Police esp Walking on the Moon, don't
mind some Marilyn Manson, NIN. Rest of it I'm not too au fait with.

What about mash-ups and links between those artists? Queen and Bowie -
Under Pressure (No man ask for!), Reznor / Bowie - I'm afraid of
americans...any more?

Tenuous link:

There's the song Judith by A Perfect Circle, one of my favourite tracks
and one I was addicted to in 2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eZMdixAuk

...of whom Maynard is friends with Serj of SOAD, as well as an early
friend of Tom Morello, who with Serj started Axis of Justice...

> [...]

> them for years after first hearing about them, because i had seen an

> album advertised on tv and thought that any band who done that was

> beneath my lofty tastes... (i'm sure a few of us here are as

> superficial as this? i cant be the only one!!!) anyhoo, when i

> actually listened to that first album, i fuckin loved it, great

> driving music, and working music... toxicity was in the car one

> summer, great surfing/driving music...

> Phillip Boa & The Voodoo Club - not heard

> Marilyn Manson - catchy tunes, not got any tho... doesnt bother me either

> way

> Nine Inch Nails - i actually remember seeing a record of theirs at

> groovy records on queen st, in AK when we was really young and hip...

> took an instant dislike to that cover and that band, and have never

> had my mind swayed...

> The Prodigy - quite like some of it, just got the first album again a

> few days ago

> The Police - not bad, not my thing, but have the odd good memory of

> hearing them

> Sting - no real comment

> Bush - yeah i like bush =)

> Queen - not bad... my mrs has a few tracks on the mp3 player in the

> car... believe it or not, they come right after 'wilful days' and 'the

> wait' .....

> Ladytron - heard of but not heard

> Les Rita Mitsouko - not heard of

> David Bowie - some great tracks, and some fucking lame tracks... saw

> the vid for 'dancing in the streets' the other week... ACK!!!!!

> Bauhaus - love them...

> Aphex Twin - never got into them, never cared

> =)

> On 8/29/08, Brendan <bq at soundgardener.co.nz> wrote:

>> SOAD are a bit hard to get your head around at first (for a mainstream

>> band)...I found the lyrics especially so, but I'm sure most of us have

>> had

>> to stretch further to get across something that eventually turned out to

>> be gold...just my 2c worth. I'm a moderate fan, have three or four

>> albums

>> (albeit got them on sale ;p). I think I get the vocals now...they are a

>> bit of a critical parody of the Shitstem, as Lydon calls it, and the

>> lyrics can be interpreted in that way. For example the track Aerials

>> doesn't have that sarcastic mocking element that Sugar does. Really

>> annoyed me at first and I thought they were a bit of a waste of talent,

>> but I got over it.

>> Aerials, Sugar and BOAB are good tracks to start with IMO. I reckon SOAD

>> are for real. I always wondered whether their reference to 'small mind'

>> in

>> Aerials was anything to do with Zen / Buddhism...

>> I LOVE the metal treatment of classic Albanian folk music, have seen a

>> few

>> docos involving Albanian folk music recently and I can certainly pick it

>> up in SOAD.

>> Sorry if this email is a bit of a ramble, just had a boozy lunch ;p

>>> k.w.

>>> a

>>> good thing.

>>> politics,

>>> history or even NAME of Che Guevara, and they'll invariably stare at

>>> you blankly.

>>> And most System fans probably couldn't find Armenia on a map.

>>> I'm a bitter old poop.

>>> Alex in NYC

>>> recent(ish) years to bring politics via their music to a massive

>>> audience - for that they deserve some respect

>>> I

>>> have not listened to them since 1992ish?

>>> The Prodigy - Lame.

>>> The Police - Were good when I was a kid. Many moons ago.... :)

>>> Sting - Gay!

>>> Bush - A ripoff of trying to be another being Nirvana and thay

>>> stil suck. Oh! And Gavin Friday's wife Qwen sucks even more! That

>>> is a matchmade in Heaven of complete suckness!

>>> Queen - Are hit and miss with me. But I do like some of their

>>> stuff. No more... "We Will Rock You!" That song is the most played

>>> out song to this day! Or I am going to write a song called We Will

>>> Sock You! :)

>>> Ladytron - I have heard of the name not the tunes.

>>> Les Rita Misuko - Who?????

>>> David Bowie - He is like old suit in a closet that will never

>>> go

>>> away. If that means anything? ;)

>>> karen.weil at sddt.com writes:

>>> My take on these bands:

>>> System Of A Down - Not a big fan, but love their passionate

>>> spirit, their melodic ways and speaking out on Turkey's role in

>>> the Armenian genocide.

>>> Phillip Boa & The Voodoo Club - Ehhh...

>>> Marilyn Manson - No; that train has sailed

>>> Nine Inch Nails -- Powerful; important

>>> The Prodigy - Overrated.

>>> The Police - Never a massive fan by any means, but saw them

>>> in

>>> concert

>>> Sting - Not really

>>> Bush - The band and president are both massive

>>> disappointments

>>> Queen - Hey, it's Queen! What more can you say?

>>> Ladytron - Too chilly for my tastes

>>> Les Rita Mitsouko - Don't know them.

>>> David Bowie - He's a legend for a reason.

>>> Bauhaus - A few great songs, but they owe a lot to Bowie

>>> Aphex Twin - Groundbreaking, if occassionally painful to

>>> listen

>>> to.

>>> they

>>> say. But the fans are asses.

>>> Phillip Boa & The Voodoo Club - Neva heard of 'em...next!

>>> Marilyn Manson - Again, the fans annoy me more than the

>>> actual

>>> artist. But I have no reason to ever listen to him.

>>> Nine Inch Nails - Early record are good. Why bother now.

>>> The Prodigy - I can enjoy them but I would not miss them

>>> The Police - Yes. But from years of classic rock stations I

>>> don't care if I ever hear Roxanne ever again.

>>> Sting - Fuck off and take your kids to soccer practice

>>> while

>>> drinking a double chai latte. In other words he sucks

>>> personally and musically.

>>> Bush - Are they still around? Are they worth mentioning?

>>> Is

>>> it even worth commenting? Isn't there only current claim to

>>> fame is being married to someone else more famous?

>>> Queen - Always enjoyable.

>>> Ladytron - I like them. Saw them once. But hasn't drawn

>>> me

>>> in to buy anything or become a "fan".

>>> Les Rita Mitsouko - Who? What? Where? Why?

>>> David Bowie - Will always love Bowie. Even in his lows.

>>> Bauhaus - Everything was splendid until the reunion. And

>>> then

>>> the last record came out.....

>>> Aphex Twin - I really don't know him well enough to comment

>>> but every time I listen it seems different then the time

>>> before. I understand why people like him/them.

>>> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:53:10 -0400

>>> From: vassifer at earthlink.net

>>> To: gathering at misera.net; gathering at misera.net

>>> Subject: Re: [kj] Tasty

>>> Okay, I'll play too:

>>> System Of A Down - I like a few tracks, but they're

>>> ultimately

>>> too silly for me.

>>> Phillip Boa & The Voodoo Club - I am not familiar with

>>> their

>>> work.

>>> Marilyn Manson - Not very original and SLAVISHLY overrated,

>>> but a smart gent to be sure.

>>> Nine Inch Nails - Love the early records, but can't be

>>> bothered now.

>>> The Prodigy - They lost me at "Baby's Got a Temper"

>>> The Police - Love them.

>>> Sting - Apart from "Fortress Around Your Heart," he's a

>>> fatuous douchecake.

>>> Bush - Ridiculously indefensible, bad music.

>>> Queen - Will always love them.

>>> Ladytron - I should be more famililar with them than I am.

>>> I

>>> do love their cover of "Oops Oh My" by Tweet.

>>> Les Rita Mitsouko - Not for me

>>> David Bowie - up to 1.Outside

>>> Bauhaus - Yes, of course.

>>> Aphex Twin - He's made a lot of unlistenable stuff, but

>>> made

>>> loads of amazingly original music as well.

>>> Alex in NYC

>>> nice

>>> chappy

>>> Nine Inch Nails - in small doses. until it becomes a

>>> whine

>>> The Prodigy - absolutely!

>>> The Police - no comment

>>> Sting - why?!!!

>>> Bush - no

>>> Queen - oo tight pants

>>> Ladytron - some

>>> Les Rita Mitsouko - pass

>>> David Bowie - up to scary monsters

>>> Bauhaus - yes

>>> Aphex Twin - YES!

>>> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:16:44 +0000

>>> From: crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk

>>> To: gathering at misera.net

>>> Subject: [kj] Tasty

>>> Ahem the only band she lists that I rate highly

>>> is

>>> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

>>> Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger.

>>> Find

>>> Out How

>>> Be the filmmaker you always wanted to be様earn how to burn

>>> a