[kj] OT Boycott the film Tropic Thunder

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 14 22:31:03 EDT 2008

Robert Downey, Jr., who utters the objectionable word in the movie
("retard") has even been mentioned as Academy Award material for this.
(In Tropic Thunder he plays a famous Australian actor who undergoes
radical cosmetic surgery to make himself into a US black man, and
changes his manner of speaking, etc., to make himself seem truly black,
unnerving his African-American co-stars). This plus Downey, Jr.'s
performance in Iron Man may make this his year...

I am not sure how objectionable to find the movie yet, but from the
previews and reviews I have to admit it seems pretty funny, and I am
curious to see it. Anything that sends up the hackneyed conventions of
US war movies automatically makes me wanna see it. "Don't you die on me,
son!!" "I can't feel my legs, sarge!" and all that.

-Oliver