[kj] (no subject)

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 06:40:16 EDT 2008

There was a close affinity before. With Ska you had the close link
with the skinheads. Growing up id see the skinheads at the back of the
shed (chelsea) in the ir best gear and the black guys were always
smart, listening to the Liquidator on the tannoy when the team came
out. The relationship was still firmly there in the mid to late 70's.

When i hung around the record shops listening to the early punk
singles coming straight out of the box onto the turntable, i can see
now the rastas hanging around. So the mix of music when from U Roy to
Dr Alimintado to X Ray Spex. I think bands like the Police were an
irrelevance and were almost the establishments way to keep it apart.
RAR also drew a line and people started to take sides.

The Ruts were heavily aligned to the skinhead ska scene and the
Clash's connections are well documented. In the Verbal fanzine
available from London Books, its said how owen stood up against the
developing racism of that scene.