[kj] ot. new bauhaus C.D, ;( what a let down!

Bette Dillinger bettedillinger at live.com
Wed Apr 16 20:17:28 EDT 2008

You didn't mention Murphy's cover of "Purple Rain" (yes, the Prince song)....

Bowie HATES people to cover his songs (I know this through a friend's dealing with Isolar), except exactly as he performed them...........and Bauhaus thought it would be a scream to do "Ziggy Stardust" because they were always accused of being rip-offs of The Thin White Duke.....> From: Partyslammer at socal.rr.com> To: gathering at misera.net> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:54:18 -0700> Subject: Re: [kj] ot. new bauhaus C.D, ;( what a let down!> > "sade1" wrote:> > > >> i just always thought that -bauhaus wripping them off was unessary> >> > It says on Youtube that Bowie himself has said Murphy's singing of> > Ziggy Stardust was the way it should be sung (or was it Space Oddity?).> > But if someone knows of any dirty detail of Bauhaus taking anything, do > > share. :)> > It was Ziggy Stardust.> > BTW, as far as I know, here's a fairly complete list of songs Bauhaus has > covered and officially released:> > Ziggy Stardust - Bowie> Telegram Sam - T Rex> Rosegarden Funeral of Sores - John Cale> Third Uncle - Brian Eno> Waiting For The Man (live on cd only) - Velvet Underground> The Passenger (live on dvd only) - Iggy Pop> Severence - Dead Can Dance> > > I think it is a fine and dotted, swervy, loopy line between > > manifesting art> > inevitably via your influences and inspirations, and straight-out ripping > > them> > off *cough-cough*NirvanaofKillingJoke*cough-cough-fart* and i feel, IMO,> > that Bauhaus didn't violate that distinction.> > If anyone knows of any, I would love to read an interview with both > > Bowie and> > anyone from Bauhaus addressing that mini-issue.> > Bowie really liked Bauhaus. Enough to insist Bauhaus be featured at the > beginning of the otherwise dull early 80's vampire movie "The Hunger."> > T.B. > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering