[kj] Advice on picking up guitar

Phillipps Marc Marc.Phillipps at enfield.nhs.uk
Tue Sep 25 04:32:41 EDT 2007

I think the 1st question you should ask yourself is "what do I want to sound like" as this will influence your decision making process much more than a lot of other factors.

Early steps in guitar playing can be a painful and frustrating experience . . a badly set up steel string guitar will rip the shit out of the novice guitarists fingers whereas a semi decent nylon stung guitar (classical if you like) will serve to strengthen the hands whilst providing good string separation for working on the basic chords and the like. Once you have the basics down on a nylon strung acoustic the move over to electric is a lot easier (the neck will feel half the size) . .

I started by learning classical guitar but quickly realised I would never be the next Segovia and moved onto a cheap electric (a Kay I think . . it was a long time ago), I do wish I had spent a little more on the first guitar but it served its purpose, I quickly moved upwards (Westone to Squier to Fender etc) without ever letting go of the old guitars and now have quite a few (more than my wife would like)

I finally got round to replacing my old Eko acoustic the other day with a rather nice Takamine, its amazing how a decent guitar will flatter your playing . . my finger style almost sounds reasonable now! :)

Marc (and his many guitars)