[kj] Advice on picking up guitar

fatpotanga fatpotanga at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:15:38 EDT 2007

Without question I'd go acoustic, nylon strung.
a) it's cheap so if you decide you hate it then no worries
b) can't think of b
c) nylon strings will go easy on your fingers
d) you can play/practice when or wherever you want to without
expecting it to sound like some rock god
e) all you have to worry about is learning chords, not sounds/volume
& 'trying it distorted'
f) harder to play? Bull. All you'll stat off with are open chords
around the nut. It'll help your technique & strengthen & toughen your
fingers gradually.
g) there are a few electric players I know who can't play an acoustic
to save their life. Mark Mynett for one used to be like that.
h) i also feel you have to 'earn your stripes'. My dad's a phenomenal
player & when I wanted a guitar aged 9 he bought me a crappy old
nylon string & said 'learn to play that & I'll get you an electric'

my totally biased opinion, but i wholeheartedly believe in it :)

flamenco-potanga