[kj] Advice on picking up guitar

S. Man spacedmanrecords at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 01:52:54 EDT 2007

Brendan wrote:

> Any feedback appreciated.

Pun intended?

I'd go for electric. Easier on the fingers and you can get sort of
acoustic-ish sounds out of an electric but not necessarily vice versa.
I'd also recommend getting some sort of little electronic box that has a
bunch of distortion and other effects thru which you can listen to
yourself with headphones. Some of the digital effects boxes ...ala
something along the lines of a Line 6 POD http://line6.com/podxt/ can
sound pretty amazing. I think Geordie uses/has used that green delay
unit of theirs. There are some that you can patch in an external source
so that you can play along and try to learn songs. Nobody wants to hear
you playing through a real amp when you are starting out but one of
these boxes can put serious sound pressure out through headphones so you
can deafen yourself to your heart's content.

Don't buy a cheap piece of crap but cheap and inexpensive are two
different things. I'd say buy something that is used that you can
easily resell after a bit once you get a feel for what characteristics
you like/dislike about guitars. You won't really know what you really
want until you handle and fool around with them for a bit.