[kj] OT - off to the Gallows

pssyche23 antoni at clara.net
Mon Sep 24 04:38:47 EDT 2007

I could get all anal and say "ah, I've seen it all before" but it was
pleasing to see young 'uns ripping through Black Flag's Nervous Breakdown
plus a spirited version of Staring At The Rude Boys, albeit with some guy
from Lethal Bizzle ranting away. We missed the first band (Black Hole, who'd
pranged their van the previous evening, tried to drive away and got caught
!!!) but a 4 band bill in 2007 for £8 reminds me of those halcyon days at
the Lyceum in the Strand circa 1980/1981.

As we got there Lethal Bizzle had been on onstage for about 10 minutes & we
caught the end of their take on Babylon's Burning - definitely music for
Kevin the teenager - "fuck da police" indeed unless someone nicks your amps,
your expensive i-pod or mobile camera phone - plenty of which were airborne
throughout the set - to be fair, they did know how to whip up the crowd with
pleasantries, only for the crowd to be reminded to check out the merchandise
stall ... very shallow.

Poison The Well followed at which point my future-bruv-in-law chuckled "it's
just like the 90's never happened" ... after a while I figured where I'd
heard of the name before, their singer guests on "I've Heard It Before" on
the Rise Above CD - I reckon if he shaved his hair off he could get a job as
a Hank impersonator.

Gallows came on to rapturous applause - pretty much a local gig for them and
as Oliver said, they must have got a big advance as the singer made several
such references - plenty of leaping about and scaling of speaker stacks - he
even popped up at the mixing desk at one stage - despite the chest tattoo,
he did look like he might have been bullied at school - as a front man, he
just didn't look intimidating enough - wow, with a front man like the guy
from Sona Fariq (who I saw in 2002, Jane what ever happened to them ???)
they would really carry it off - anyway, I enjoyed it - mind you, my gigging
days have dried up somewhat ... maybe they are not the genuine article but
I'm so far out of the loop, rarely get a chance to check out new stuff and
have plenty of other things to think about these days ...