[kj] (OT) Jena 6

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 14:12:58 EDT 2007

Context and history matter; hanging nooses under the "white tree" at a
public school, to warn blacks, may be something the DA says he can't
find anything illegal with -- but the kids who hung the nooses weren't
disciplined by the school, or anything. Calling someone a name at school
may not be illegal, but usually kids are censured or disciplined for it.
Detention or something. So how about when you hang nooses to scare to
black teens? Everyone's hands were tied on that one! Nothing you can do,
it seems.

The white kid who was beat up was at a school function the same night
that the others "attempted to murder him." The prosecuting attorney
released photos of that white kid from the hospital. Dunno if anyone
took photos from any of the other schoolyard fights that had happened
before this. If every teenager who got into a fight was charged with
attempted murder, probably half the US would be in jail by the time they
were 20.

All you have to do is go to comments below photos like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jambot/978096657/ to see the really ugly
sentiment coming out of people because of the rally. You get folks
demanding that they aren't racist ... while they are spewing ugly racist
invective and mocking African-Americans. But they're not racist -- all
that racist stuff is overblown.

-Oliver