[kj] feast of blaze(original).

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Sun Sep 16 16:05:58 EDT 2007

Regrets:

Never saw the original Undertones - saw them about 3 or 4 years ago (very good)
Didn't see SLF until 1997 - admittedly they were great then and since
Didn't see the original KJ line-up (first KJ gig was 83, featuring Raven - which was great)
Didn't see the Stranglers early on - saw them in 85 (they were great)
Didn't see the original Buzzcocks (but did see them perform dreadfully at Holidays in the Sun 96)
Only saw about half of an Inner City Unit gig (85). Saw Maximum Effect quite a few times after that though - they were great. And I "Judge Trev's Inner City Unit" a few years ago (late nineties I think).
Never saw Rudimentary Peni.
Never saw the Dead Kennedys (biggest regret by a mile).
Never saw CRASS.
Never saw Joy Division.
Never saw the Clash (but saw a lot of Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - who were great)
Never saw The Mob - though I did see Blyth Power play a Mob set as a benefit for the McLibel Two (along with Zounds - apparently Steve Lake is an old mate of Dave Morris')
Didn't see the original Zounds - although I've seen numerous reunions.
Didn't see the original Beat - but seen plenty of reunions (great).
Didn't see the original Selecter - but seen plenty of times in the last few years (great).

Things I'm glad about:

The fact that I did manage to catch a lot of reunions (see above) and:
- seeing Blyth Power very early (the day of Live Aid 85)
- seeing Lords of the New Church several times early on (before the second album came out)
- seeing the short-lived Maximum Effect
- seeing Big Black
- seeing KJ relatively early on and before the downturn of the late eighties
- seeing Chumbawamba fairly early (87 - Pictures of Starving Children era) and then again in 98 and rekindling my interest.
- seeing Motorhead (87)
- seeing Tackhead (93, I think - wish it had been earlier)
- seeing Flux (91/92? - wish it had been earlier)
- seeing Conflict (my opinion has plummeted since, but at the time it was very exciting)
- seeing Conflict and Steve Ignorant (Feeding of the 5000)
- seeing Transmission featuring Big Paul and Youth onstage together for the first time since 82 I guess.

And plenty of other less well-known bands (Stormed of Cambridge, anyone?) who provided great nights out, of course...