[kj] Poll anyone ?

jpwhkj at aol.com jpwhkj at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 19:01:38 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Moltesen <sneakypete at uwclub.net>
To: 'A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)' <gathering at misera.net>
Sent: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 6.03pm
Subject: [kj] Poll anyone ?

Who are you ?

Jamie, aka Thin Jamie

Where are you ?

SW London

How are you ?

Ready for bed

Heard anything good lately that you’d like to share ?

Nothing new, anyway.

Where do you stand on the great ‘Hosannas’ debate ?

a)       it’s a flawed masterpiece – classic KJ

b)       it sucks a big fat one

c)       the songs are fine but the sound is awful

d)       its OK

Flightbringer and Judas Goat are good - especially the former (which I *really* like).  But otherwise the tracks aren't anything special, and Jaz needs to *sing*.

If KJ were to do one of those one off gigs where they play one of their classic albums all the way through, which one should they do ?

My Joke-gig-going extends back to Fire Dances-era, so I've pretty much heard Fire Dances, Night Time, Brighter, Extremities, and Pandemonium.  The first album gets played to death anyway (I think the last gig featured everything except SO36), and I'm not a big fan of Revelations (so flame me) so... what's THIS for...! - which features two of my all-time-fave tracks (Fall of Because and Butcher).  Mind you, I liked Darren's suggestion of OTG - it'd be interesting to hear it freed from the late eighties-production.  And the title track and (especially) Tiahuanaco are pretty good.

Favourite 3 KJ album covers……………….?

First album, what's THIS for...!, and the inside sleeve of Fire Dances - great lettering, and lovely pic of the band.

Least favourite KJ album cover

Probably Hosannas, but 2003, Extremities, Night Time, Brighter, and OTG are all pretty rubbish.

Which is it to be – King Crimson or Queen ?

a)King Crimson

b) Queen

c) both of the above

d) neither of the above – I’m a Rush fan

You have whatever you want, I'll get the drinks.

Which Queen song would you like to see KJ cover ?

Show Must Go On

And which Crimso tune ?

I don't know any KC.

Whats Geordie’s solo album going to sound like ?

Who knows?  Could be great, might be rubbish.  His sound on recent(ish) KJ albums has been pretty lazy though...

Got any good gigs coming up ?

Blyth Power soon.  Maybe Steve Lake (ex-Zounds) this week. Crass, Flux etc soon-ish.

Where do you stand on the great ‘Democracy’ debate ?

a)       it’s a flawed masterpiece – classic KJ

b)       it sucks a big fat one

c)       the songs are fine but the sound is awful

d)       its OK

One great track (Aeon) and several others that have good bits.  Dreadful, obvious, and/or silly lyrics though.  (Which goes for most KJ since Fire Dances.)

Peter West – is he

a)       a top bloke – the Gathering would be a duller place without his lively contributions

b)       He remains the consummate wind-up merchant – never fails in getting someone’s hackles up.

c)       A slightly sad character with too much time on his hands and an over large chip on his shoulder

d)       Peter who ?

e)       None of the above

I delete a lot of Gathering emails after only a very brief skim.  Many of PW's long arguments fall into that category. But so do discussions about Goth, US hardcore, cats, communism, etc.  On the other hand, he's probably the person (here) who has made me laugh out of loud most often in the past few years.  I think the playground is big enough to include him.

ttp://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering

Get a FREE AOL Email account with unlimited storage. Plus, share and store photos and experience exclusively recorded live music Sessions from your favourite artists. Find out more at http://info.aol.co.uk/joinnow/?ncid=548.