[kj] Poll anyone ?

Peter Moltesen sneakypete at uwclub.net
Sun Sep 9 06:38:08 EDT 2007

1. Who are you ? Peter Moltesen

2. Where are you ? Streetly, West Midlands

3. How are you ? Tired but more or less contented at present - am the
father of a 3 week old baby boy - slowly adjusting to fatherhood, nappies,
lack of sleep etc etc

4. Heard anything good lately that you'd like to share ? The new
Interpol album + the live Heaven & Hell live album. One of the first gigs I
ever went to was Black Sabbath on their Heaven & Hell tour - judging by the
album they sound as good now as they did back in 1980. Sadly the UK dates
they're playing are in crap arenas like the NEC and Wembley so I won't be
going. I really detest arena gigs - horrid impersonal things - you pay vast
amounts of money to sit about 5 miles away from the band and watch them on a
video screen. No thanks.

5. Where do you stand on the great 'Hosannas' debate ?

the songs are mostly fine - especially Invocation & Judas Goat (possibly THE
best song title ever!!) but the sound is awful - and Jaz' voice is shot - I
wish he would use a bit of light and shade like he used to. Some songs are
too long and some (eg the above) do benefit from being long.

6. If KJ were to do one of those one off gigs where they play one of
their classic albums all the way through, which one should they do ?

Democracy or WTF ?

7. Favourite 3 KJ album covers.......?

WTF is by far the best album cover. I like Hosannas too..although as someone
previously said, the best covers are the early MD 7" singles

8. Least favourite KJ album cover

OTG

9. Which is it to be - King Crimson or Queen ?

a)King Crimson

b) Queen

c) both of the above

d) neither of the above - I'm a Rush fan

definitely King Crimson for me, particularly the various 1970s
incarnations. I do quite like Rush too, although sometimes Geddy's squawking
gets a bit much - especially on the early albums

10. Which Queen song would you like to see KJ cover ?

None, really

11. And which Crimso tune ?

Larks Tongues in Aspic part 1 - some nice angular riffing in there.

12. Whats Geordie's solo album going to sound like ?

Hopefully the chiming guitar orchestras of Democracy together with a bit of
KJ 2003 riffage and more besides.....

At the very least I hope it'll be better than DM....

13. Got any good gigs coming up ?

Cardiacs in November - London, maybe Nottingham too. Acid Mothers Temple in
November. Haven't decided about New Model Army yet.

14. Where do you stand on the great 'Democracy' debate ?

a) it's a flawed masterpiece - classic KJ

b) it sucks a big fat one

c) the songs are fine but the sound is awful

d) its OK

Democracy remains one of my favourite KJ albums. The sound may be slightly
weak in places and the lyrics aren't always great, but Aeon, Pilgrimage,
Absent Friends and Democracy, to name but 4, are all classics in my book.
Geordie's playing is fantastic throughout though.

15. Peter West - is he

a) a top bloke - the Gathering would be a duller place without his
lively contributions

b) He remains the consummate wind-up merchant - never fails in getting
someone's hackles up.

c) A slightly sad character with too much time on his hands and an
over large chip on his shoulder

d) Peter who ?

e) None of the above

I suppose I don't really know the bloke and am not sure of his motives
(although occasionally I do find myself agreeing with what he has to say).
Based on his contributions I'd say he starts off as a) and works his way
through to c) quite quickly. The thing that amazes me is why so many take
the bait and retaliate.