[kj] Poll anyone ?

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Sat Sep 8 19:28:11 EDT 2007

1. Who are you ?

An elderly prog rock fan with very little tolerance for other people

2. Where are you ?

Small village in Berkshire, near Hungerford, where tourists still flock to
take photographs of themselves where Michael Ryan's shooting victims died.

3. How are you ?

Tired, and fed up that I've broken my bass. Can't finish off this track with
an octave-dropped lead guitar. Will have to go shopping tomorrow. Bugger.

4. Heard anything good lately that you'd like to share ?

Can't stop listening to Fear Of A Blank Planet, by Porcupine Tree. In a 5.1
surround mix. See? Unapologetic. The self-titled from Emigrate (Rammstein
guitarist project) is really funny; there's a peculiar pidgin spoken by many
native German singers using English that I like. Always think of Kraftwerk's
Showroom Dummies - you'd have thought someone might have told them that "We
are standing here, exposing ourselves" wasn't the best translation to use.

5. Where do you stand on the great 'Hosannas' debate ?

a) it's a flawed masterpiece - classic KJ

I still rank Judas Goat as one of my top five favourite KJ tracks ever, and
was really disappointed they didn't try it live. That really would have been
one of those pressure behind the eyes experiences for me. Because KJ are a
riff-based band, I don't really mind the lazy lack of editing, although the
vocal style grates after a while. The b-sides were great too.

6. If KJ were to do one of those one off gigs where they play one of
their classic albums all the way through, which one should they do ?

I'd really love to see them do Outside The Gate all the way through.
Honestly. Apart from personal reasons for being fond of the album, it would
be so different from many KJ gigs I've been to. You know, I could do without
Wardance & Pssyche every once in a while, in favour of (say) Chapter III.
But the OTG title track is fundamentally a great piece of music roundly
vomited on with absolutely rank arrangement and production decisions. Oh,
and lyrics, but I've never thought lyrics were a KJ strong suit anyway.
Would be really funny to hear Jaz's new gargle voice (it's like he is only
now capable of doing the noise at the start of the LP Wardance) have a go at
Tiahuanaco.

7. Favourite 3 KJ album covers.......?

What's THIS for...!

Revelations

ED&VRE

8. Least favourite KJ album cover

KJ2003. I'd like to say something more controversial, but honestly. I reckon
Limp Bizkit would have rejected that one.

9. Which is it to be - King Crimson or Queen ?

a)King Crimson

all the way. Hate Queen. But I also like Rush, on the third Thursday in May
of each leap year. Apart from those dreadful squealy vocals.

10. Which Queen song would you like to see KJ cover ?

Thank God It's Christmas. Or Flash (aa-aaaa).

11. And which Crimso tune ?

Elektrik, from The Power To Believe

12. Whats Geordie's solo album going to sound like ?

Hopefully not like the outro to OTG, or that Bollock Brothers LP. An
instrumental Murder Inc-style result would make me happy, but I hope he'll
do something different.

13. Got any good gigs coming up ?

NoMeansNo. Fucking fantastic live band, despite being nearly as old as me.

14. Where do you stand on the great 'Democracy' debate ?

a) it sucks a big fat one

It's the KJ album with the least number of tracks I really like on it. Even
OTG has the title track, My Love Of This Land, the (unextended) Stay One
Jump Ahead - I think it's a great riff, so fuck off.

15. Peter West - is he

f) a tick, oozing Lyme Disease. The sad thing is I think he is capable of
sensible conversation, but prefers to show off with his schizo multiple
personalities (not the green kitchen, Sybil). It's sometimes like watching a
baby playing with its own faeces. He occasionally makes me laugh, though,
although I suspect not on the occasions when he is trying to be funny.