[kj] the essence

jo jo at arcadia.karoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 17:43:55 EDT 2007

It contributed to music's evolution, yes and despite your rapid bristle growth:-)) it is a rolling milestone (millstone IMHO).
Personally I don't patronise Bob. I was thinking about peoples' efforts to rock at family functions if they spy a guitar standing in the corner. It always seems to be, in my generation, Rolling Stone or that horrible Smoke on the Water.

Don't take me too seriously Alex.
Kiss ppfffmmmffff

Wild is the Wind as Brendan pointed out:)

I reckon that you're a secret Bob fan:-p

I make no secrets about my guilty pleasures. And I don't mean to pick on Jo who started this particular thread, but citing the hackneyed ol' chestnut that is "Like a Rolling Stone" as a "quintessential rock anthem." I mean -- come on, people -- isn't that why PUNK rock was invented? To topple those yawnsome sacred cows?

I mean, KISS remains one of my favorite ever bands -- and cranked out a number of worthy "quintessential rock anthems" in their day (my pick of theirs would invariably be "Shout It Out Loud"), but at least Kiss are knowingly stupid and ridiculous, wallowing in the shallow vapidity of RAWK and spectacle -- not that piously folky/hippy freedom rock crapola that is Bob Dylan. Go smoke a doobie in your VW van with a tye-dye wearin' Jack Keroac disciple if you're gonna throw that tripe on.

But in terms of a rock anthem as a fists-aloft, hell yeah mission-statement, I'd sooner cite:

"BLACK TO COMM" by the MC5
"Blank Generation" by Richard Hell & the Voidoids
"Cretin Hop" by the Ramones
"Jocko Homo" by Devo
"Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop
"White Riot" by the Clash
"Pretty Vacant" by the Pistols
"Something Better Change" by The Stranglers
"Overkill" by Motorhead
"Rise Above" by Black Flag
"Drop The Bombs" by Cop Shoot Cop

...hell, even "Antmusic" by Adam & the Ants has more oomph and resonance than fuckin' "Like a Rolling Stone".

Sorry, Jo. Rant over.

Alex in NYC