[kj] OT: Billy Bragg: Proud to meet the Queen, have symphonic works performed w/ his lyrics

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Tue Oct 16 17:48:02 EDT 2007

I'll give the Led Zep and SFTFVC albums a chance as soon as I get around
to getting around to it, the guy is just so brilliant in KJ, and I love
the orchestral parts in a lot of their stuff from Pandemonium on that I
have to give it a try. Also a huge Zep fan so it's a no brainer. I like
epic sounding stuff too (Kashmir, No Quarter).

Olly do you venture out of punk / post-punk much? I'm trying to draw a
mental line from Punk to Classical. It's a bit convoluted, and I'm sure
there's many ways you could do it...I'll give it a stab:

Punk. Post Punk. Industrial / Metal. Rock. Classic rock. Operatic rock
(Queen / ELO). Operatic pop (Nigel Kennedy, Vanessa Mae). Classical.

You could of course go straight from punk to rock...hard to say whether
metal or punk is closer to straight rock I suppose...

> There was a point when I was interested in chasing down every little

> piece of symphonic music Jaz was involved in. While I do like some of

> it (notably the SONGS FROM THE VICTORIOUS CITY project with Anne

> Dudley), most of it fails to sustain my interest. I admire Jaz for

> his myriad musical accomplishments, but I'll stick with his work with

> Killing Joke.

> Alex in NYC

> On Oct 16, 2007, at 4:35 PM, B. Oliver Sheppard wrote:

>> Honestly, I haven't heard the symphonic Led Zeppelin stuff and am

>> not eager to. That sounds like one of the worst ideas in history to

>> me.

>> Seriously, though, since being EU Composer-in-Residence, what has

>> Jaz done other than make cameos on other bands' stuff? Is that what

>> the job entails? I'd actually like to know. But I don't wanna sit

>> through symphonies of classic rock. Ugh.

>> -Oliver

>> Brendan wrote:

>>> what's goin' on with Jaz and that high falutn '

>>> "EU-Composer-in-Residence" stuff? Hmm? -Oliver]

>>> Expanding his musical interests wider and deeper, I think it's

>>> brilliant

>>> myself. Haven't got any of that stuff, but am keen to get the

>>> Symphonic

>>> Led Zep, Oceania etc...I've heard some of the symphonic version of

>>> Kashmir

>>> on Youtube and it sounds great to me...I tend to agree with him

>>> that all

>>> the previous symphonic rock albums are trash (although I do think

>>> that

>>> those symphonic / operatic elements in Queen, ELO, Beatles etc

>>> aren't too

>>> bad).