[kj] OT: Chrome recommendation

Blazingstar418 blazingstar418 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 12:30:45 EDT 2007

> Be careful of new Chrome. The main guy is dead

> (Damon Edge 1995).

I play on the last 3-4 new Chrome albums and I'd agree
with the first part of this statement! ;)

However, to be *really* fair, even thought Damon was
the one that started the project and recorded "the
Visitation" (prior to Helios' involvement) when Helios
joined he not only took over as
Guitarist/Bassist/Keyboardist/Primary Vocalist, but he
also completely changed the sound of that group from
bad prog into the
experimental-industrial-futuristic-metallic-crunch
that most of us die hard fans still love today.

Almost every note played on the albums from Red
Exposure up until Third From the Sun were played by
*just* Damon and Helios.

Helios' contribution to (if not *invention* of IMHO)
the classic Chrome sound is also clearly evidenced by
the drasticly different music that came about in his
absence on both "The Visitation" (pre) and again on
Damon's later period (post) Chrome albums on Dossier.

Again, just trying to give Helios his fair shake.

A L P

--- Christof hamille <wessidetempest at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Be careful of new Chrome. The main guy is dead

> (Damon Edge 1995).

> Helios Creed was in it originally. Dropped out for

> may years after having a fallout with Damon.

> Resumed the name after he died.

> To be fair to Helios they were collaborating again

> (albeit briefly and infrequently) before his death.

> And of Chrome's most popular releases Helios is on

> it.

> I've met both of them over the years. Damon was

> nice, but a bit introverted while helios was a bit

> more...eccentric. I read somewhere the he is a

> train conductor now.

> Chris

> > Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 23:24:54 -0500

> > From: bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net

> > To: gathering at misera.net

> > Subject: Re: [kj] OT: Swans recommendation

> > Well, I figured out the Neurosis/Swans link

> finally.

> > The official Swans website contains a t-shirt

> design with this explanation:

> > " $16 JARBOE T-SHIRT NEUROSIS & JARBOE [L] From

> the well-known

> > collaboration with Neurosis. Back features image

> of bees wings. Size[L]"

> > The well-known collaboration? I love(d) Neurosis.

> Never knew they did

> > something with member(s) of The Swans 'til I found

> that site.

> > Ah, yeah, now Chrome, ironically, I knew about

> them. There are still

> > gaps here and there I need to fill though. Which

> will be impossible to

> > do since there's a gazillion underground bands now

> and the reach really

> > is global.

> > -Oliver

> > Leigh Newton wrote:

> > > In many ways, it sucks being a latercomer. It's

> not all bad though. One good part is that everything

> is right there for you to plunder. This list is a

> good place for latecomers, namely myself. I'm a

> latecomer to just about everything. It was thanks to

> the Gathering that i got turned onto the genius that

> is Chrome. The Damon Edge/Helios Creed era, to be

> exact. Nothing else is quite like it. Thanks

> Gathering!

> > > Leigh

http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline>

"The scene was wild and somewhat sinister. The darkness, the palms, the mountainous background, the silent lake below, the impenetrable canopy of space, studded with secretive and significant stars, formed a stupendous setting for the savage noise and blaze of the ceremony."