[kj] Quicksand ... Baby Gopal

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 10 11:47:02 EDT 2007

I bought the Baby Gopal LP, the baby blue and pink one, in '96 or '97,
whenever it came out, and didn't expect it to sound like it did. This
was really before Napster, much less Soulseek, so you still had to buy
an album, often, before discovering what it was like. Or a listening
station at a music store. I was a big fan of Victory and NYHC-related
bands (still am), and bought LPs based on what label they were on, as
labels still tended to have styles particular to them 9Amphetamine
Reptile sound vs. Dischord sound, etc.). So, I bought Baby Gopal,
thought it'd be like early Shelter or 108 or Strife but w/ female vox...
but, well...

In retrospect, their album art was sort of ahead of its time. Very
bizarre back then, esp. for a release on an east coast hc release, but
looks like the way a lot of album covers do now on mainstream labels.

I could never get into the band, still have the Gopal CD, though.

-Oliver