[kj] OT: Jane's WAS: New October File vid

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 08:03:11 EDT 2007

I don't remember Love On Ice, but now my curiosity's piqued.

What exactly am I supposed to be listening for in "Ocean Size" or
"Had a Dad"? Moreover, find me a "LA Glam Metal" band that was
capable of making that sort've fat, textured sound?

Dave Navarro was a complete stoner metalhead before joining Jane's --
it's indisputable. But Jane's Addiction as a unit were more than just
his influence. While his playing is crucial to the whole, I'd say his
metal tendencies were balanced by Eric Avery's bass playing.

Simply put: Jane's Addiction were from L.A., yes and incorporated
elements of metal to their music, but were by no means an "LA Glam
Metal" band. Full stop.

You're Canadian.

Alex in NYC