[kj] Celtic fan vs Dida attack

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 5 14:24:44 EDT 2007

Well, the thing that gets me is that violence associated w/ sports --
and there's TONS of it, along with drugs and other shady stuff -- is
generally given a wide allowance in the culture. Like the dude who
almost got his balls ripped off because he was wearing a Texas Longhorns
shirt -- if that had happened at a punk show, there is a greater
possibility there'd be talk show specials, nightly news scare reports,
etc., about this dangerous music that all the kids are into now. WATCH
OUT PARENTS!

But ripping off genitals, dog fighting, drug abuse (steroids), biting
someone's ear off (Tyson) and the like, or even murder (OJ Simpson) in
sports, do not seem to cause a stigma to be as readily affixed to it as
it would be to rock, or especially rap.

-Oliver