[kj] . . Clutch/Homies

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 3 13:09:05 EDT 2007

Slavery is a legal & formal system designating a class of humans as not
privy to the same rights of others, transformed into personal property,
and utilized for their labor power by owners. Debt bondage, like when
foreigners pay smugglers to get into the US, and who are then corralled
into underground sweatshops, and then told they have to work in subhuman
conditions to pay off their debts to their benevolent masters -- but
which they can never do as insubordination, being late, taking breaks,
etc., accrues more fines and thus more indebtedness -- is also
pejoratively a type of slavery.

In the current American system the government used to be able to
requisition human labor at gun point, until recently. That was called
the draft. In Israel this still occurs. Also, in the US, when a union
strikes, the President can invoke an emergency procedure to break the
strike and force the workers to go back to work. If they don't, they are
fined every day from then on that they miss. It was heavily debated in
the US in World War 2 that if the US govt. could draft soldiers, why
could they not draft civilian workers, too? You know, to make airplanes
and tanks and stuff.

As I understand communism, the means of production [physical
infrastructure] are owned in common and their administration can be
ceded to democratically elected councils. In slavery, the means of
production are human beings, and are the property of others.

Some folks lazily call any kind of unjust servitude "communism," or
"fascism," or anything else, but that's just demagoguery and has as much
veracity as North Korea calling itself democratic.

Probably the truest types of slaves in the US now are folks who work in
prisons for private corporations who outsource their labor to inmates,
displacing the jobs of free citizens. Is that communism? It's capitalism.

-Oliver