[kj] More on the Johnny Depp/Dave Vanian "coincidence"

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 15:50:05 EST 2007

Huh. Where did I say Vanian should sue anyone?

The point was: 1) Damn, look how much Johnny Depp looks like Dave Vanian
in this new film; 2) I looked into it further, and thought, 'Wow, this
is really weird; here's a side by side comparison.' Given Depp routinely
borrows others' personae, it's hard to dismiss this as coincidence; 3)
If that is so, wouldn't it be nice if Vanian got credited or even some
residuals, given that The Damned have influenced bands that went on to
make a lot more $$$ than them? And then I showed one hypothetical way it
could be done, though I agreed Vanian was too modest to probably do any
such thing anyway. (They didn't seem to care about the "Life Goes On"
and "Eightes" similarities, after all, unlike a certain other band, who
cared about a song's similarity.)

Of course, on this list that became "BWAHAHA! YOU THINK DAVE VANIAN
SHOULD SUE JOHNNY DEPP BECAUSE HE HAS A STREAK IN HIS HAIR? OMG LOLOLOL!!"

-Oliver