[kj] Johnny Depp/Dave Vanian

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 14:34:15 EST 2007

Ah, you took some time to ponder my email again (I'm flattered!), and
then came up with another isolated sentence to pick on! Take your time.
If you need one email per sentence I wrote, that's fine, but I can't
promise to keep up.

The idea that Depp didn't have much say in using Kieth Richards' persona
for Jack Sparrow is ridiculous. Depp admits he did it:

"Q: *You based your character on Rolling Stone Keith Richards. Why's that?*

A: I thought of Keith because he's a guy I've admired for many, many
years. I didn't want to do an imitation of Keith, or a character study,
just a kind of salute to him, you know, to show him I appreciate him."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2003/07/29/johnny_depp_pirates_of_the_caribbean_interview.shtml

He plays the salute/homage/tribute angle.

-Oliver