[kj] More on the Johnny Depp/Dave Vanian "coincidence"

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 13:37:57 EST 2007

Well, Depp's history of constantly borrowing others' personae for his
roles makes me think it was Depp. No smoking gun proof, though, of course.

Did the director of Pirates of the Carribbean tell Depp to impersonate
Kieth Richards?

Burton is a self-caricature now. His best films are Ed Wood (in which
Depp lifted Jon Lovitz's persona, though he denies it) and Peewee's Big
Adventure. Both those are heavily character-driven. The Sleepy
Hollow/Nightmare Before Christmas-like stuff is all visuals, no strong
character-driven stuff. Burton went from someone who was one of the most
promising directors of the 80s and early 90s, and became a sort of house
filmmaker for Hot Topic.

In any event, Vanian could threaten a suit and settle out of court with
DreamWorks for maybe a good sum. I'm a fan of Vanian's and would like
him to be rewarded more for the stuff he's done than he is now.

-Oliver