[kj] More on the Johnny Depp/Dave Vanian "coincidence"

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 12:57:13 EST 2007

I did a more detailed comparison of Johnny Depp's upcoming "Sweeney
Todd" character with Dave Vanian's stage persona, here:

http://www.cultpunk.com/?p=217

There's even a comparison between The Damned's "Grimly Fiendish" video
and the trailer for _Sweeney_Todd_ there.

Here's my advice for Vanian, though I'm not a lawyer: Mr. Vanian, your
real name is David Letts, and you took on the stage name and persona of
"Dave Vanian" when singing for The Damned. "Vanian" is a shortened form
of Transyl-Vanian. Before Anne Rice wrote _Lestat_, about a vampire
rocker, Vanian was already doing it. Thus, I think David Letts has some
intellectual property stake in the character he created.

Having said that, just look at how closely Johnny Depp -- who played Ed
Wood as Jon Lovitz; Willy Wonka as Michael Jackson; and Capt. Jack
Sparrow as Kieth Richards -- has copied Vanian here. I'm ersonally tired
of mainstream culture ripping off old punk stuff and none of the
original folks ever getting credit or residuals of any kind. Vanian
should ask for some cut of the Sweeney Todd revenue from DreamWorks, who
are producing the movie.

Comparisons at URL above. Hard to write it off as coincidence, the more
I look into it.

And I like Dave Vanian anyways. He deserves more due than he's gotten.

-Oliver