[kj] Strange events

Brendan bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Nov 8 14:26:21 EST 2007

I think something along those lines is possible, perhaps not with time
travel, but I'm open to that. As much as physicists do know how the
physical world acts and interacts, no one really knows WHY gravity works,
what most forms of energy are, hence what matter is...etc etc. I read New
Scientist mag, don't claim to understand half of it, but one thing I have
picked up is this massive level of uncertainty about...stuff. Science is
discovering new stuff all the time, but that is also broadening the scope
of what we know we don't know...

As for what's possible in the future...well looking back, practically NO
ONE predicted the surge in popularity of the internet (it's now so
ubiquitous that you don't have to capitalise the i...),. If you read
technology books pre early 90s, pre the first WWW browser, including Bill
Gates' one, it just didn't occur to most people. I read a book about the
guy who drove (not really invented) Netscape, Jim Clark I think, he and
the guy who invented the technology behind it went around for months
promoting the internet browser (www / html) to corporates and venture
capitalists and no one could really see their vision. Which is not really
their fault, I mean...it's just such a new concept.

My point being, it's pretty hard to predict what may happen with
technology in the future. Who knows how many quantum leaps similar to the
internet there are going to be...? And for all that implants are going to
cause all sorts of personal privacy and control / manipulation issues, I
can see potential positives as well. Downloading memories, skills, maps,
languages, being able to stand there pretending to listen to the mother in
law while you're playing a game of Quake in your head...while listening to
Killing Joke, and of course:

"Jiu jitsu?...I'm going to learn...Jiu Jitsu?"

-Neo