[kj] Shot in the dark question for any fans of "martial pop, " "military ...

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 7 18:12:14 EDT 2007

One of the frustrating things (to me, anyway) about "Military pop" is
that little of it actually has percussion that reminds me of military
marches, etc. Some of it does, but a lot of it is just audio collage
with rousing, nationalist-sounding anthems and the like, with audio
clips from fiery dictators and all that stuff. I always thought the
drumming style Crass had on, say, "Do They Owe Us a Living?" was really
innovative, and still is, and I have heard so few bands copy it or
utilize it the way Crass did.

I'm downloading and listening to stuff now from the "bands" Militia and
Organized Resistance, two martial pop/militaristic pop bands, and I
ain't hearing any martial drumming, dammit. A lot of it is really just
experimental noise -- p.e.d.i. as they say.

-Oliver