[kj] Black Hole Chaos

uncle bennys magical bra factory fatpotanga at gmail.com
Wed May 2 05:26:58 EDT 2007

It was on TV last night.

Was quite interesting.
I missed a good chunk of it some I'm probably missing something fundamental
out or have all this completely wrong but basically ... (switch off now if
potanga-mangled science bores you)

The famous E = MC2 (Energy = Mass x the speed of light squared) shows that
mass & energy are the same thing.
Anything with mass contains a huge amount of energy & conversely massive
amounts of energy can create mass.
As Bill Bryson put it rather nicely in his brilliantly pleb proof, simple to
understand 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' (which I highly recommend)
"... if you are an average-sized adult you will contain within your frame...
enough energy to explode with the force of 30 very large hydrogen bombs,
assuming you knew how to liberate it & really wanted to make a point"

We know all the sub atomic particles that make up everything, but not the
glue that holds these bits together - that binds these little bits into
solid, tangible things. In finding out they'll discover more of how the
universe was made.
Like this guy said on the TV, "It's too complicated to fathom out now, the
easiest way is to go back to the beginning & look at it"
So they're re-creating a mini 'big bang'

This thing they're building is 7 times more powerful that the biggest, erm,
thingy machine (those things they fire atoms round tracks with) we have
today which is 6 km in diameter
(Hosannas! I remembered the name of the thingy - particle accelerator! )
in the hope that they will find the glue they've been theorising about.
One side affect of this massive release of energy is the possibility of
creating a black hole.
They were saying that if it does create a black hole it will disappear as
soon as it materialises. Phew!
Thank god scientists are never wrong...

> Perhaps the final countdown has just begun...

PS - you bastard, I now have Europe's 'The Final Countdown' stuck in my
head!